Monday, June 16, 2008

Ray of Hope

In the middle of the monthly Vibha conference call today, I realised what I missed by not attending the Volunteer Conference in Atlanta. There was this thought also hovering at the back of my mind that how this association is helping me get closer to humanity.

So what did I miss. I missed meeting and listening to Becky Douglas, who is doing one of the greatest services to mankind. She is the founder of Rising Star Outreach. Till the time I heard her speech and read the conference updates, I was ignorant of how this homemaker had taken the onus of fighting leprosy. She is a ray of hope to thousands and her efforts are healing those for whom life is no more than a 'curse'.

Vibha was one of the first organisations to assist Becky when she needed funding. And what her organisation has done is truly commendable. I again pity the sad state of Indian governance that has done the least to help eradicate leprosy. You can read more about it here: http://www.risingstaroutreach.org/history

Time to look back and see where we belong !

No comments: