Saturday, August 09, 2008

Love thy neighbor

I stepped into the elevator. She looked at me and gave me a smile. I was stunned by her beauty.

The elevator stopped at the 18th floor. She stepped out and so did I. I followed her. She opened the doors of 1804 and went inside. I giggled to myself as I moved into 1802 for the first time. It was exactly opposite to 1804.

I shifted to Mumbai. In one of those high-rise spanky apartments in a posh locality. As I managed moving my luggage inside my apartment, I realised the woman I just saw was an actress. I stressed my mind a little more. Infact, she was a well-known actress.

I was the neighbor of a well-known Bollywood actress. I was delighted. I had a new identity in town.

That night, I could hear her shouting. I didn't bother too much. I smoked out the noise in my ears with a Marlboro light. Thinking it must have been her maid who could be the reason. Next day I asked the security guard by the elevators.

Someone in 1804 was shouting yesterday night. Do you know what happened ?

Oh sir. Miss Sen's apartment. She must be fighting with her mother.

She lives with her mother ?
I asked.

Yes sir. This happens almost every night. Only she and her mother live in that apartment. He replied.

Her usual time to return from shoots was midnight. Over a week passed, and I realised that the incessant shouting was a daily routine. She was a successful actress with almost 7 releases to her credit. And she was single. I too was. What a coincidence. I was too overawed by her svelte figure, her stylish self and her imminent grace.

The shouting continued. Gradually I got used to her darker side of life. Occassionally, we managed to exchange glimpses while walking in the hallway, in the parking lot or in the elevator. But I never spoke with her. The shy stupid that I was.

I gained some courage. Next time I saw her waiting for the elevator, I greeted her with a smile. I felt sympathetic for her. I thought she was being badly treated by her mom. But I didn't utter a damn word.

The next time, I started with a "Hello". I was improving.

I saw the Holi bash invite from the Apartment Office. An exclusive event for the society residents. No outsiders allowed. DJ, snacks, colors, food, it was a nice celebration.

Then, I saw her. Her mildly colored face and her white body-fitted suit made her look stunning. She was there talking with another neighbor of mine. Thanks to my introvert nature, I didn't even know him. Damn. I mustered all the courage I could and approached her.

Hi.

Oh Hello.

I am Rohan.

Ahh nice to meet you. I am...


I couldn't control my excitement. I interrupted.

Well who doesn't know you. And gave a wide smile. I guess she was flattered.

So did you move into 1802 ?


I was on the seventh heaven. She knew I was her neighbor. What more could I ask for ?

Oh yeah. Just three weeks ago.

This was good enough to break the ice. She told me her mom wasn't well so she couldn't attend the bash. I anyway didn't want to see that shouting bitch. Her dad worked in Singapore. He bought her this three-bedroom swanky apartment with a terrace overlooking the Marine Drive. She had no siblings.

I am from Delhi. My company has given me this apartment. I work here as an investment banker.

Oh, so you make loads of money.
She smiled as she said that, while sipping the orange juice.

Yeah, I do. But lesser than you.

And then we laughed. After a short conversation, she left for a shoot.

She seemed nice. She spoke well, and was at best in her interactions with people. I was curious to see how she lived, whom she met and worked with, was she filmy ? Of course, I am a guy. How couldn't I ?

We saw each other a couple of times after that, and she always smiled while greeting me. I started feeling special. But the short conversations couldn't turn into long.

That sunday, my doorbell rang. It was 9 AM. I got out of my bed with just my boxer shorts on and didn't even bother to look into the magic-eye. I opened the door.

Hi.

Ohh, hi.


I was stunned. It was too late for me. I was embarassed to the core.

Sorry Sorry. Please come inside. Let me go put some clothes on.

I ran towards my bedroom, like I never ran before.

I was back. She rested comfortably on the sofa. I greeted her again and apologised. She noticed that I was in a semi-sleep state, so she excused me.

Mom is gone to Singapore for the weekend and I was getting bored. I had a tiring shoot yesterday. My whole body is paining.

I felt like giving her a back rub. Why the hell god didn't make me a massage therapist ? I asked to myself. On the inside, I was beaming with happiness.

Do you want to join me for a cup of coffee ? I want to make some. She asked.

That hit me. I readily agreed. It was god's gift to me on a fantabulous Saturday morning. I asked her for a couple minutes, and rushed to shower myself. She headed back to her apartment. I put on my best tee and jeans and splashed the Armani perfume for a pleasant effect.

I knocked. The door was half-open. She opened the door promptly and I entered inside to witness the grand decor and lavish interiors. She looked stunning in her spaghetti top. She lived like a princess. Elegant stuff, high-design equipment and plush furniture adorned her apartment.

Make yourself comfortable. Let me go get the coffee. Rupa - Get them some water please.

The maid helped me with water. I kept looking at the two big paintings that adorned the living room wall.

These paintings look awesome. I said.

Thanks. She said as she handed over the cup of coffee to me. Papa gifted them. I love them. And so did I.

The coffee is really nice. I complimented her. A smiling 'Thank you' was the reply.

We chatted a lot over the coffee. She asked me about my work, my single status, giggled a lot and picked on me quite a few times. I wanted to ask her about her mother and their unending quarrels, but intelligently didn't. I didn't want to ruin the wonderful conversation.

An hour passed. Time flied. And she was chatting away to glory. I loved the moments. She was warm, affectionate, friendly and quite charming. I was impressed.

Ohh. It's about to be 11. I have to go attend a studio premiere.

I had to leave. I thanked her for the good time and talks.

It has been two weeks now. I haven't seen her. I saw her mom. I kept wondering to myself where did she go ? Did she leave ? And I assure myself, she must have gone for an outdoor shoot. Even the security guard has no clue.

I miss her now. I hope she comes back soon. I have learnt an important lesson in this short span. Love thy neighbor.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. This is just a start.

3 comments:

Sunish said...

Nice start buddy! I had this eerie feeling that it is not a fiction...

AR said...

thanks, but it is. coz' i ain't a banker, don't live in high-rise, and know no actress !! sigh !!

ancientmariner said...

the material things might be fictional but the context might be real:-). please change the color of those yellow sentences. Not able to read it in google reader!!